Court Moor Home for Motherless Boys, Crookham, Fleet, Hampshire
The Court Moor (or Courtmoor) Home for Motherless Boys was opened in 1918 by the Church Army. It occupied a house at the east side of Castle Street, in the parish of Crookham, Fleet, Hampshire. In 1920, the premises could accommodate up to 21 boys , aged 7-11 at their date of admission. It subsequently became a holiday home for poor city children and their mothers. In 1931, it was turned into a home for aged men, which continued in use until 1974. The building was demolished in 1981.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- The bulk of the Church Army's archives have been deposited in the Bible Society Library, housed at Department of Manuscripts and University Archives, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. The material does not include minute books or admission records, however.
- Lynch, Donald Chariots of the Gospel. The Centenary History of the Church Army (1982, H.E. Walter)
- Rowan, Edage Wilson Carlile and the Church Army (1905, The Church Army)
- The Church Army, Wilson Carlile Centre, 50 Cavendish Street, Sheffield S3 7RZ.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.