Forfar Female Industrial School, Forfar, Angus (Forfarshire), Scotland
The Forfar Female Industrial School was established in 1852 and occupied premises at 31 Lour Road, Forfar. Unlike a number of other establishments of its type, the institution remained a day-school and did not provided residential accommodation for any of its pupils. It was thus never accredited as a Certified Industrial School to receive children committed by magistrates to detention.
Miss McKay was teacher at the school from 1869 to 1878, and Miss Chapman from 1878 onwards.
The school closed in 1890. The property is understood now to be in private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.