Ancestry UK

Victoria Home, Formby, Liverpool, Lancashire

In 1897, the Waifs and Strays Society established its Victoria Home for Infants at 46 Andrew's Lane, Formby, near Liverpool. The purpose-built premises, which cost around £2,000, were designed by the Liverpool architect, Mr J Havelock Sutton. The location of the home is shown on the 1927 map below.

Victoria Home site, Liverpool, c.1927.

Victoria Home, Formby, Liverpool, early 1900s. © Peter Higginbotham

The official opening of the home, on April 24th, 1897, was performed by a local supporter of the Society, Mrs J.S. Beauford, standing in for the Countess of Lathom who had had a severe fall. The Bishop of Liverpool then performed a service of benediction, naming the home in honour of the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria, which also place in 1897. The home, described as a 'children's place', could accommodate 30 children aged from 2 to 7, although older children were occasionally admitted.

Victoria Home, Formby, Liverpool, c.1925. © Peter Higginbotham

The first matron was Miss Bratt, who held the post until 1910. When she left, Society's newsletter recorded taht that 'her loving care of the little ones, her bright, cheerful disposition and the ready welcome she always extended to all who visited the Home, will ever find a warm place in our memories'. Mrs Beauford, who was President of the Home's Committee until her death in 1923, organised many fundraising events on behalf of the children including their popular annual ball.

Victoria Home, Formby, Liverpool, c.1914. © Peter Higginbotham

As at other children's establishments, membership of local Boy Scouts and Wolf Cubs groups was a popular activity with the Victoria Home boys.

Wolf Cubs at Victoria Home, Formby, Liverpool, c.1925. © Peter Higginbotham

From 1945 to 1947, the home operated as the Victoria Home For Toddlers. After the toddlers were transferred to the new Francis Pochin Nursery at Southport, the Victoria Home received the girls from former Galloway Home at Whalley Range. The home became mixed in 1960. In 1973, it became an Assisted Community Home.

The home finally closed in 1981. The building no longer survives and modern housing now occupies the site.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.