Home for Motherless Children, Hanwell, Middlesex
The Homes for Motherless Children (HMC) organisation was set up in 1896 by the evangelist Robert Thomson Smith, who had founded the Chiswick Mission in 1880.
The HMC's first homes were in Chiswick but later ones were established further afield. Those placing children at the homes were expected to contribute towards their keep according to their means.
The HMC home at Hanwell was opened in about 1910 at Lyndhurst, 34 Uxbridge Road. It provided accommodation for 30 boys and girls aged 5 and upwards.
The home closed in the 1920s. The building no longer survives.
Other establishments run by Homes for Motherless Children were located at Spencer Road, Chiswick, Burlington Lane, Chiswick, Warwick Road, Ealing, Florence Road, Ealing, Uxbridge Road, Ealing, Queen's Walk, Ealing, Mattock Lane, Ealing and Barrack Road, Hounslow.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Jeffs, Ernest Motherless. The story of Robert Thomson Smith and the first homes for motherless children. (1930, Marshall, Morgan and Scott.)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.