Grove House, Harrogate, West Riding of Yorkshire
In 1927, the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes (RAOB) — a British charitable fraternity dating from 1822 — opened a children's home at Grove House on Skipton Road, Harrogate. It replaced the Order's previous establishment at Druids Heath, near Walsall.
The £10,000 cost of purchasing the new premises was led by Lord Alston, with members of the order encouraged to buy a brick or yard of turf at a shilling a time, with each donor being presented with a certificate. The home was opened at Easter 1927, with the donor members processing from Harrogate railway station, accompanied by four brass bands.
During the Second World War, party of the home was used to accommodate British and American service personnel.
The home was closed in 1947, with the children then in residence being returned to members of their own families, together with a sum of money to assist in their support.
The building is still used by the RAOB.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.