Villiers Schools' and Orphanage, Limerick, Co. Limerick, Ireland
The Villiers' Schools and Orphanage were founded in Limerick in 1826 under the will of Mrs Hannah Villiers. The institution, which was for Protestant children, consisted of one boys' and one girls' school and a girls' orphanage in Henry Street Upper, and mixed school in Nicholas Street
A new building for the establishment was erected at Henry Street Upper in 1837-39.
In 1858, the objects of the orphanage were reported as being:
The boys' day school was:
The girls' school's remit was identical apart from the addition of 'useful needlework'.
The 1858 report also noted that the 'house arrangements' were 'objectionable'. In 1881, things were apparently little changed since although the house was clean and evidently well kept, there was not a separate bed for each girl, nor a separate towel.
In 1953, the institution relocated to new premises on the North Circular Road. Villiers School is now a co-educational, fee paying, boarding and day secondary school.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.