Scholfield Home for Girls, Liverpool, Lancashire

The Scholfield Home for Girls was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1897 at Church Road, Wavertree, Liverpool. The house had been donated by Mrs Killick and her sisters, the Misses Scholfield. A further gift of £250 form a woman who did not wish to be named had allowed the addition of a sanatorium to the premises. The home was officially opened on 20th May, 1897, by Lady Doreen Long, wife of the local MP, Walter Long, with the Bishop of Liverpool, Dr Ryle, conducting a devotional service.

The location of the home is shown on the 1927 map below.

Scholfield Home for Girls site, Liverpool, c.1927.

Scholfield Home for Girls, Liverpool, c.1897. © Peter Higginbotham

Scholfield Home for Girls, Liverpool, c.1897. © Peter Higginbotham

The home could accommodate up to 30 girls. aged from 7 to 14, who were to be trained in laundry and domestic work. The first matron was Miss Holsworthy.

Scholfield Home for Girls, Liverpool, c.1912. © Peter Higginbotham

Scholfield Home for Girls, Liverpool, c.1924. © Peter Higginbotham

Scholfield Home for Girls, Liverpool, 1928. © Peter Higginbotham

Every year, the girls' were taken away for summer holiday, with places such as North Wales being a popular destination.

Scholfield Home girls at Conway, 1923. © Peter Higginbotham

Scholfield Home girls on holiday, 1934. © Peter Higginbotham

The home closed at the outbreak of war in 1939 and the girls were initially evacuated to the Manor House at Pontesbury, near Shrewsbury. In 1941, they were transferred to a newly opened home at Ormskirk.

The Wavertree building no longer survives and the site is now a school playing field.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography