Stormont House School, Hackney Downs, London
The Stormont House Residential School for Mentally Defective Blind Boys was established by the London County Council in 1904 and occupied premises at 75 Downs Park Road, Hackney Downs, London E5.
In 1909, the premises were converted for use as an Industrial School for younger boys. On December 2nd, 1909, the premises were formally certified to accommodate up to 12 boys aged under 7 years at their time of admission. The superintendent at that date was Miss A. Smith.
In 1915, the School was closed and the boys transferred to the Council's Industrial School at King's Avenue, Clapham Park. A few months later the Downs Park Road premises re-opened as the Stormont House Red Cross Hospital. After the First World War, the site became Stormont House Open Air School. The location is now occupied by the Stormont House School for children with special educational needs.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.) Has Register of Children (1911-14).
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.