YWCA Auxiliary Home for Girls, Maida Vale, London
On January 27th, 1926, an Auxiliary Home for Girls was certified for operation at Campbell House, 90 Sutherland Avenue, Maida Vale. The establishment, which could house up to 20 girls, was run by the YWCA (Young Women's Christian Association). It provided hostel-style accommodation for girls making the transition from an Industrial School to independent working life.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.