Ryecroft Home, Manchester, Lancashire

The Ryecroft Home, on Aviary Road, Worsley, near Manchester was opened by the a Waifs and Strays Society in 1939 as a replacement for the existing Worsley Home for Boys. Construction of the purpose-built premises was funded by a gift of £5,400 from Mr and Mrs A Smith. The building's foundation stone was laid in February 1939 and it seems probable that the Worsley boys were still at the old home when the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939 resulted in their evacuation to Shap. They soon returned, however, and the new home was formally opened on February 10th, 1940, with a service of dedication being performed by the Bishop of Manchester.

Ryecroft Home, Manchester, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

The home became mixed in around 1950. In 1973, it became an Assisted Community Home, forming links with the local council.

The property is now a private residence.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography