Palazzo delle Stelline, Milan, Lombardy, Italy
In the second half of the sixteenth century, an orphanage for girls was established in the Palazzo delle Stelline, on what is now the Corso Magenta, Milan. The inmates were known as the Stelline, a name derived from the that of the host parish, Santa Stella. A separate boys' orphanage, known as the Martinitt, had been founded in the city in 1528.
The Martinitt and the Stelline orphanages closed in 1971, with their role being absorbed into a wider social care institution called Pio Albergo Trivulzio.
The former orphanage building now houses the Palazzo delle Stelline hotel. A museum dedicated to the history of the Martinitt and the Stelline was established in 2009 at 57 Corso Magenta, in part of the orphanage site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.