Norwood Children's Home / Wood Vale Short-stay and Reception Home, Norwood, Surrey
At the outbreak of the Second World War the children were evacuated to hostels at Braughing, Hertfordshire, and the home was used as a Supplies Department depot. In 1949, the premises reverted to use as a children's home but for short-stay cases. In 1950 the establishment was renamed Wood Vale. The premises could accommodate up to 204 children.
The Wood Vale site is shown on the 1960 map below.
In 1964, Wood Vale was taken over by Lambeth Borough Council who erected a new building, known as South Vale, at the north of the site, on what had been the Wood Vale playing fields. Wood Vale was closed in around 1968 and subsequently demolished, with modern housing being erected on the site. The South Vale buildings have now also been replaced by housing.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
- The 1968 photos of Wood Wale were very kindly donated by Peter Goodall.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.