Salford Day Industrial School, Salford, Lancashire
In 1885, the Salford School Board opened a Day Industrial School in purpose-built premises at Albion Street, Windsor Bridge, Salford. The establishment was certified to begin operation on October 6th, 1885, with accommodation for 280 children, aged 5 to 14 years. Miss Hannah E. Lee was appointed superintendent, having previously taught at the Queensland Street Day Industrial School in Liverpool.
An article on the School from October, 1887, is reproduced below in an abridged form:
The question of what special provision, if any, the School should make for Roman Catholic children to be taught separately, was one that the caused much debate. As indicated by the by article above, separate religious teaching was taking place in October 1897. However, it was not until 1889 that, after consultation with with the Home office, that one of the teachers employed at the School, Miss Heyes, was allowed undertake this duty.
Miss Lee, became Mrs Harrison in 1891, and continued as superintendent until August 1895 when she was succeeded by Miss A Binns.
An 1896 report noted that the School, though located in a squalid neighbourhood, was compact and convenient with good yards and rooms, including workshops, drill room, etc. There were now 184 children on the School roll, of whom 80 were Roman Catholic. In the classroom, singing (tonic sol-fa) was described as 'fair', recitations were 'good' and selections from Shakespeare in the in standards III, IV and V were well said. Geography and mental arithmetic were 'very fair'. The 1895 award of the Science and Art Department for Drawing was 'excellent'. There were 23 boys engaged in manual instruction and 26 shoemakers. All the girls learned to knit and sew, and a dozen or so boys learned something of tailoring. There is some mat-making and 3 boys looked after the boiler. The joiner's shop of the Board was on the premises, and the head joiner gave a weekly lesson. An old boy of the School was now apprenticed to him. There was no systematic instruction in cookery, but the girls helped the cook in turn, and about 16 of them could prepare a plain dinner. In the laundry, the boys did the rough washing while the girls did the better class work for the school. The play-yards were good, and the workshop served as a playroom for the boys in bad weather. Musical drill with dumb-bells, wands, and clubs was taught. There was a plunge bath on each side, and many of the boys could swim, despite their being no regular instruction. The school was close to Peel Park, where games such as football could be played. There was a sulphur cabinet far disinfecting clothing and there were separate baths for special cases. The children each had a separate towel. There had been 67 cases of birching for truancy and 5 for giving trouble in the school. A concert was got up every years by the teachers, and with the support of members of the Board and other friends, sufficient money was raised to buy material which was made by the children into useful articles of clothing (including boots) for distribution as annual prizes, as well as to provide a trip on a summer's day into the countryside.
Following her marriage in 1898, Miss Binns became Mrs Ward. Following her resignation on June 30th, 1903, she was succeeded as superintendent by Miss Ada Garlick. She, in turn, was replaced by Miss Lily Greenhalgh October, 25th, 1909.
In 1911, drawing now formed a significant part in the boys' industrial training. Woodworking and shoemaking workshops were being well conducted and the boys were learning the useful art of repairing their own clothes. The girls' needlework was 'very creditable', with button-holing being particularly good. The older girls could now darn stockings very neatly. A large cookery class was given weekly by the School's cook, and good notebooks were carefully kept. The older girls assisted in the laundry with the children's towels, aprons, etc. Free gymnastics, and exercises with wands, Indian clubs and dumb-bells were all practised with precision and vigour. The School held the shield for the Salford Elementary Schools.
The School was closed on April 1st, 1921. The premises were subsequently used by Salford Direct Works Department. The buildings no longer survive and the site is now covered by part of St Paul's Primary School.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain's Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.