Thornseat Lodge, Higher Bradfield, West Riding of Yorkshire
Thornseat (originally Thornsett) Lodge, a remotely situated house on what is now Mortimer Road, Higher Bradfield, was for many years a residence of the Sheffield steel magnate, William Jessop. After William's death in 1905, his son Thomas occupied the house for some years.
During the Second World War, children from the Sheffield Council's children's home at Herries Road, Sheffield, were evacuated to the property.
After the war, Thornseat Lodge became an adjunct to the Council's cottage homes at Fulwood, some nine miles away. In 1949, the superintendent and matron at Fulwood, Lionel and Freda Hildreth, were recorded as holding the same positions at Thornseat Lodge. Additions to the facilities included a swimming pool at the rear of the house.
In 1958, the matron was Miss K. Brunt, with Miss E. Lawless as her assistant. Miss Brunt was still matron in 1968 but in 1972 had been succeeded by Miss Ellis.
In 1973, the home was described as a mixed sex home for 16 emotionally disturbed or 'difficult' children of all ages. In 1978, it had become Intermediate Treatment Centre accommodating 12 young people
The home closed in 1980s and has since stood empty and increasingly derelict.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham Street, Sheffield S1 4SP. Holds surviving Sheffield Social Services Department children's home records up to 1999. Not known if they have any relating to Thornseat Lodge.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.