Ancestry UK

The Home of The Good Shepherd For Girls, Stockport, Cheshire

The Home of The Good Shepherd For Girls was founded in about 1891 by the Rev. Arthur Symonds. It occupied premises at 20 St Thomas Place, Stockport.

The home was run as industrial school, providing accommodation, training and religious instruction for poor girls, so that they would be employable, in most cases as domestic servants. The training was in household skill such as laundry work and house-work. On November 20th, 1893, the home was officially certified by the Local Government Board to receive girls from the poor law authorities for a fee of £13 a year.

In 1894, the home was taken over by the Waifs and Strays Society home. However, the property was found to be too expensive to maintain and the home was closed in 1898, with the girls being transferred to the Society's St Barnabas' at New Brighton.

The Thomas Place building no longer survives.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.