Stratford-on-Avon Industrial Training Home, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire,
The Stratford-on-Avon Industrial Training Home for Girls was established in 1883 and occupied premises at 1 College Street. On 23 May of that year, the establishment was certified to operate as a Certified School, allowing it to receive girls boarded out by Boards of Guardians. As well those from workhouses, the Home also received orphan or destitute girls. Up to 14 girls, aged from 12 to 15 years, could be accommodated. Regular subscribers to the Home's funds could placing a girl there for a weekly charge of 2s. 6d., while non-subscribers were charged 5s. and also had to provide her with an outfit.
By 1920, the establishment was being run by the Girls' Friendly Society and subsequently expanded into number 2 College Street. It was still in operation in 1942.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Records of the Girls' Friendly Society are deposited at The Women's Library, London School of Economics, 10 Portugal Street, London, WC2A 2HD.
- Heath-Stubbs, Mary Frienship's Highway: Being the History of the Girls' Friendly Society 1875-1935 (1935, GFS)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.