Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls, Westminster, London
In around 1858, Miss Mary Stanley (sister of the Dean of Westminster) founded an industrial school for Roman Catholic girls at York Street, Westminster, London SW1. On 2 November 1861, the establishment was accredited as a Certified Industrial School, allowing it to receive girls placed under confinement by the courts. At the end of 1862, only 5 of the school's 25 inmates had been sent there under a magistrate's order.
The school's certificate was withdrawn on 8 March 1864 after Miss Stanley toook over the running of the St Margaret's Industrial School for Girls at Queen Square. The York Street school then reverted to a purely charitably funded establishment.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.