Inglis House Boys' Home, Milton Bryant, near Woburn, Bedfordshire
A home for up to 13 boys was established in 1877 at Inglis House, Milton Bryant (now Milton Bryan), near Woburn. Inglis House, part of the local Manor House, was officially certified to receive boys boarded out by the workhouse authorities. Boards of Guardians made a payment of six shillings a week per boy. When a vacancy occurred at the home, notice of it is sent to one or more of the Boards sending children. There was no fixed age of admission to the home.
As well as basic education, the home provided the boys with a range of 'industrial training' which included housework, gardening, carpentering, farm work, painting, etc. Boys usually left at the age of 14, but delicate or 'backward' ones could remain longer. Those placed out from the home could be received back or otherwise provided for during intervals in their employment, holidays, etc. Half-yearly reports of the boys, when desired (up to the age of 20), were sent to the Boards of Guardians.
The home is believed to have ceased operation by the early 1900s.
A girls' home was run by the same management at Clapham in south-west London.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.