John Capel Hanbury Hospital, Woodford Bridge, Essex
The John Capel Hanbury Hospital, named after its principal benefactor, was opened in 1923 at Barnardo's Boys' Garden City, Woodford Bridge. It replaced the London facilities of the Her Majesty's Hospital at Stepney Causeway. The new building adopted the then popular 'half-butterfly' layout with an administration block at the centre and ward blocks to each side.
In 1947, the hospital merged its activities with those of the Australasian Hospital at Barnardo's Village Home. It was succeeded in 1952 by the the Hanbury Hospital Home which specialised in the care of the physically disabled.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Barnardo's 'Making Connections' and Family History Services — for enquiries relating the records of children formerly in the care of Barnardo's and those of other organisations absorbed by them.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.