Woodhouse Home / Princess Louise Home, Wanstead, Essex
The Woodhouse Home for Young Girls (in connection with the National Society for the Protection of Young Girls) was established in 1835. Its object was 'to provide a home, education, and industrial training for young girls — not thieves — who are in danger of becoming abandoned.'
In 1873, the Home came under the patronage of Princess Louise and was renamed the Princess Louise Home for the Protection of Young Girls
The Home had premises at Woodhouse (or Wood House), Harrow Lane (now Harrow Road), Wanstead, where Courtenay Road now runs. The property could accommodate up to 100 girls, aged 11-15. Admissions were granted by the Home's Committee, on the recommendation of a subscriber to its funds, and a payment of 4s. a week. A few free cases were also received. Those admitted were required to be in imminent and absolute danger of becoming 'abandoned.' No girl was allowed to leave the Home until qualified for domestic service, except in special circumstances. A suitable situation was found for those leaving the Home, with an outfit being provided, and prizes awarded annually for continued good conduct in service.
In 1893, the building of a new railway line in the area led to the closure and demolition of the premises, with the Home moving to a new site in Kingston, Surrey.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.